Tuesday, February 22, 2011

something smells fishy

He has made everything beautiful in its time. Also, he has put eternity into man’s heart, yet so that he cannot find out what God has done from the beginning to the end”. Eccl 3:11

The depth of this verse is just now hitting me for the first time. Let’s break it down.

1. He has made everything beautiful. Everything means everything right ?!?!?! That means no exceptions, no circumstances or conditions change that fact. I am included in ‘everything’, so are YOU. I am beautiful, you are beautiful. But, in HIS time. In other words no matter our rebellion, our pig-headedness, our stupidity, or our pride, He will make us beautiful. This beauty has nothing, I repeat, NOTHING to do with either you or me. Beauty, from God, is perfect. I am not capable of perfection. My heart holds no beauty……..”For out of the heart comes evil thoughts, murder, adultery………..”. So how are we going to be made beautiful if our heart is inherently wicked? “Humble yourselves, therefore under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you”. I have this verse written on my wall, and for a very good reason. Most people know the next part, “casting all your anxieties on him, because He cares for you”. But the beginning of the verse is key, “humble yourself”. Humble yourself and then “at the proper time” (sound familiar?) He will exalt you. If we humble ourselves, in His time, at His proper time, He will make us beautiful. In our humility He will exalt us.

2. “Also, he has put eternity into man’s heart, yet so that he cannot find out what God has done from the beginning to the end”. In other words God instilled a desire in us for ‘more’. He created us to always be looking beyond the horizon. Always searching for something better. He’s put a taste of eternity in our spirits. A desire to be sanctified, holy, and perfect. But we cannot do anything about it. Makes you want to say, “ Nice guy, huh?” But there’s a reason. You see, “Faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen”. If we understood eternity, if we knew the beginning from the end, why would need Him? If we knew our ‘ending’ why would we ask Him for strength in the things to come? But thanks to our Father we have the hope of eternity. The hope of freedom from this wicked world. And He has given us love and peace while we remain on this earth!

His offer is to make us beautiful, for eternity. Our obstacles are the world, and all the cares and worries that come along with it. We don’t need magic words or a new doctrine to obtain the prize. Just a willing and humble heart.

So, what’s going on down here at Rancho Maranatha?!?! Lots, as always.
Dan and Ana left yesterday for Quintana Roo, a state in southern Mexico. A dear Christian couple took them to have a little vacation. I’m so glad that there are getting a chance to relax. Pastor Dan will be sharing in a church in Merida, Yucatan while they are there. Roshon will be leaving next week as well. She has to go to CA to meet with the leaders of Aaliyah’s school. So it’s up to Jerry, Jo, and I to keep things up and running!!!! Pray for us!
Dan left me fish sitting. I pray that both the fish and the plants will flourish under my care. I’ve considering taking my guitar down and serenading them.

This morning we had biblestudy in Osobampo. The ladies there continue to bless me so much. They all sacrifice so much to be able to make it to the study. Carla has been teaching on biblical childrearing. I’m trying to store as much info as possible for later use!

Below is something that I wrote about my beloved fish the other day. I hope you all enjoy it.


Right now I am sitting down in the greenhouse. I'm fish sitting, yep fish sitting. You would think it would be a piece of cake right? Give them their pinch of flakes every day. Make sure to keep their bowl clean. IF you want to get really eccentric you could always play them some music right?!?!?!
NOT SO. I would rather babysit anyday! Without a doubt I confess that it is easier to keep kids alive than it is to keep fish! Kids are simply so much less complex. Identifying signs of stress or disease in children is much easier. If your home remedy book doesn't have the answer you can always resort to google. If your self diagnosis through google seems a bit sketchy you can always open the phone book. There are lists and lists of family doctors and pediatricians. Kids are simple. If they are hurt, the cry. If something is bothering them they whine. If you're 7 yr. old charge is hungry you will know! You don't even have to listen for the rumbling of his tummy or wait for signs of lack of nutrition.
Why?!?! One word: COMMUNICATION. Kids can talk! They can tell you what they need. Plus since we were once children we can many times foresee their needs and desires. We know that they'll want pizza for dinner, not brussell sprouts. We know how much sleep they need. We know how much exposure to extreme heat or cold they can take. We know how to properly prepare them from these perils. They're human, we're human, it works.
I have discovered something. FISH ARE NOT HUMAN. Time and time again I take my human knowledge and try to apply it to this wet and slimy species. It simply doesn't work. You don't know when a fish is hungry? You can't ask him if there's enough oxygen in his water. Neither can you tell whether the nitrate, nitrate, ammonia, or ph levels are too his liking. Usually you don't find out he was a bit uncomfortable until he's floating, belly up, in the pond. Once he is in this position there really isn't much you can do. Mouth to mouth isn't an option. Zapping won't work on him either, lol....... Putting those paddles in the water can be tricky business.
When you meet a fish the first question you ask isn't, "What's your name?", but, "Are you male or female?".
You see with fish the answer isn't quite so simple. The males don't tend to wear their hair shorter. The females do not have longer eyelashes. Then again, in our world today sometimes you have to stop and ask people as well.
If I ever go to school I've decided to study Marine Biology, there just aren't enough of them in the world.
Even though fish are undoubtedly high maintenance I can't say that they're guilty of any wrong. I have most pleasently spend many of my saturdays in their company. They really are quite agreeable, not very argumentatitve. They also enjoy the same climate that I do. 80-85 degrees F is their heaven :)
As far as their taste in music, they seem to be quite openminded. They like christian contemporary, worship, a bit of rap, some heavy metal occasionally. They've also grown to love Antoine Dufour, relaxes them I believe.
As far as their preference to either English or Spanish, I am not sure... Still working on that. I think they might enjoy a facebook profile... What do you think? Perhaps a fan page.
So yes, I've grown quite fond of these quaint creatures of habit. However I must admit that I enjoy them most when you throw tortillas, salsa, and guacamole into the mix. It's like having a fiesta :) :):)

By now you're probably thinking that I've completely lost my marbles huh?!?!?!?!
I'm actually quite sane, though perhaps a bit fishy......
I hope you found that amusing.

Well as my dear friend, Cher, would say, "See ya,here, there, or in the air!" :)

2 comments:

  1. Merida, Yucatan is where my Mom and Aunt were born, and where my Grandpa and Grandma founded "Colegio Americano" internado school!!! We still have a lot of family friends there!
    The Lord will help you all, I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Chelsea,
    I love you and thank you so much for taking such good care of me. I really do like all the music you play for me and there isn't much I would change except to ask for a trip back to where my parents are from...the lake. Wouldn't that be fun? We could all swim around for a while and then go back to our own private pool on the ranch. (If you believe that, I have some great real estate I would like to show you sometime) Anyway, keep up the good work and someday we will be enjoying a meal together...at least one of us will!

    ReplyDelete