Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Royal Family Kids Camp 2011

To say I was blessed at camp would be an understatement. I was left amazed at the goodness of our Creator!

The phrase of the week: "God REALLY loves the children!"

As we welcomed the kids into camp I was amzed by how beautiful there were. I knew that every child getting off that bus had a past that was definately not a 'fairytale',and yet they were whole, beautiful, and excited children.
Throughout the week I was continually awestruck by the resiliancy of these children. Each and every one simply desired to be loved and more suprisingly, TO love. They were all so full of love, all open to new things.
One of my favorite memoires is definately the day that I got to be Bible Bear. Bible Bear is a very large costume, styrofoam head and all. This happy grizzly delivers mail the the campers each day. Each child comes up to retrieve their mail and give Bible Bear a big hug. Sometimes Bible Bear even gets a kiss on the cheek! For the new campers it was quite a suprise. For the veterans it was a meeting up of old pals, hahahahahaha. It was awesome. I think it was about 130 degrees in that bear costume though... I came out completely drenched.

Throughout the five days I was blessed by the kids in so many wyas. It was my priviledge to interview some of them and ask them about their dreams and goals. One wanted to be a Doctor, another a pilot, one of the girls just wanted to meet Justin Beiber, hahaha. I think the most touching request was one young boy who simpy wanted to make friends, especially at school. By the end of the week he was part of a mighty trio we dubbed, 'The Three Amigos". God is good!

The cooks did a fantastic job. Boy, did those kids eat. Interestingly enough the salad bar was a huge hit. I found out that many kids find sunflower seeds simply scrumptous.

The kids went rock wall climbing, kayaking, and practically wore out the slip-n-slide. We became addicted to 4-square and watched the rise of a hula-hooping star. I'm still singing the songs that were repeated over and over againi all through the day and week. The message in them is so very important for the survival of these kids.
Yep, lots of warm fuzzies! ;)

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your paths straight". Proverbs 3:5-6

No comments:

Post a Comment