Tuesday, June 22, 2010

In the Morning

I'm waiting for the coffee to finish brewing.

For some reason this time of day, early morning, I miss home the most.

I imagine myself opening up my eyes to see the crazy green walls in my room. My eyes run over all my pictures and colages, over my cross colllection hanging by the door. Then I throw the covers off and find that Lily Rose spent the night. She's like a heater. She openes her sleepy eyes and lets out a big yawn. Off to the kitchen I go. I can smell the coffee already. I hear the birds outside the living room window as I walk by. I hear music from upstairs, Gabe must be up. Jonny left for work hours ago. In the kitchen I pick one of my many mugs; maybe the chicken cup, the starbucks cup, or the giant heart mug. I swirl the coffee around in the pot, and then into my cup it goes. The steam rises. I look over into the dining room. Dad's at the table studying. "Good morning, Dad", he doesn't hear me because his headphones are on. He's probably listening to one of his 'thru the bible' cd's. I kiss him on top of the head as I walk by. Then I peak in my parents' bedroom. There's Mom with her bible open on the bed. She looks up, with reading glasses on the end of her nose, "Hey, Sweety". Just then the sliding door opens and out meanders my beautiful little sister. Clad in her horse shirt, walking like a zombie, she bumps into the wall. "Oops", she says and her nose crinkles up as she giggles. She hops up on Mom's bed to say good morning. I follow suite. We laugh and giggle, screams start to pierce the quiet as I start tickling her. Here comes Lily, oh, Gabe too. As Gabe does a bellyflop on top of us we all groan, even Lily. "OK", I say, time for me to go do devotions. I grab that cup of coffee which isn't steaming anymore, but miraculously didn't spill, and head back through the house. Back past my dad with his headphones on, back through the kitchen past the coffee pot. Back into the room with the wild green walls. "Good morning, Jesus".

This is why I miss 1727 Hillcrest Dr. the most in the morning.

2 comments:

  1. Aw, Chels. You even make me miss it :)
    DTB, amiga.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chels...............now I need to visit 1727 Hillcrest Drive........

    ReplyDelete